Home.Volcanic Eruptions.Baby Weight

So, I am not sure if all you other Mamas out there can relate or not, but I am finding it increasingly difficult to keep up with my blog. It isn't for a lack of interesting thoughts or ideas either. I think I am spending a good part of each day writing new blog posts in my head. Now in those particular moments, it is probably just a lot of mumbo jumbo; however, with a little bit of time, most of those thoughts could probably make for interesting posts.

Recently, I have been processing what the word "home" means...and what kind of thoughts the word illicit. Whenever I hear the word, my mind quickly races to memories of a nice, breezy autumn afternoon with the windows open and the smell of my mama's fragrant candles wafting through the house. I also think about dinners around the kitchen table (all of us in our usual spots) and conversations about the superficial and the super complex and profound. I smile at the memory of my whole family sleeping on the floor in the living room, with no lights beyond the glow of the fireplace as the snow storm knocked out all the power....and me lying there thinking this was the best night of my whole life. I remember the security I felt as each night after my parents went to bed, I could hear them whispering to each other in the dark. I don't know what they were saying but I do know the joy I felt inside my heart knowing how much they still enjoyed each others company.

Anyway, I have been pondering the word because I have been thinking about how the Bible talks about how our home is not here on earth but in heaven. For me that is a concept I can grasp...a picture I can grab a hold of. I know what "home" feels like, smells like, even tastes like. I have seen it and experienced it, and I know that I know that I know it is one of the best things in the world. So, when my circumstances here on earth seem bleak or I worry about what a life as an MK means for my children or I start to get scared about the future of this world, etc., I can take heart and rest in my Father's promise that a better home awaits my family and me in heaven. As I look at my sweet 14 princesses and as I continue to hear more of their stories and see first hand the scars that their "homes" have left on them...forever earthly scars, my heart breaks. When I share with them God's promise of a heavenly home awaiting them, really it isn't much different than promising a child a trip to the greatest amusement park when that child has no concept of what an amusement park even is.

All this to say, I have been treating my "work" a little bit differently since these thoughts started running through my head. Am I making a "home" for my girls...a place filled with beautiful memories that they will take with them long after they leave this physical house. This is not meant to be mistaken for more material goods...a better house or better clothes or more trips to fun places...no a home isn't about any of those things (as I am sure any rich kid with distant parents would tell you). A home cannot be purchased. It cannot be decorated. It can only be felt...and it is felt through the depths of one's soul. Although my darling "daughters" real homes await them in heaven one day. I want this home...this home that God has placed my precious husband and I to lead to be a home that is so special and wonderful that it only causes a great stir, anticipation and eagerness for God's great home in heaven. But, how can I expect them to eagerly await something they have never seen. "Oh God please help us to make this home...at least home for now until they can meet You in their forever home..."

How does all of this relate to "Baby Weight" and "Volcanic Eruptions" you may ask?? Well, the fact of that matter is, I am only 10 pounds away from being at my pre baby weight size and only 18 (the aforementioned 10 pounds and the 8 additional happy marriage pounds!) more pounds away from being exactly where I want to be...my ideal weight for my size and height... Super exciting I know...well for me at least! Jillian Michaels has been helping me rip those last pounds off...I say rip because I am SO sore. Anywhoo...back to the topic at hand. This all goes together because God has just been totally convicting me on the fact that part of having a wonderful home here on earth is having wonderful parents leading that home. I think that often times we superficialize (is that even a word??? if not, just roll with it...I make words up ALL the time in Spanish and it totally works!) body image or weight loss or the importance of healthy living. We take Peter's command to women to "not let our adorning be external..." to mean "don't spend time worrying about how I look", and I am going to just flat out say I don't think that is what Peter meant. Yes, my adorning should be "the hidden person of the heart with the imperishable beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit." I say amen to that, sister! However, I also think that part of being a virtuous woman is to care for my temple. Hear me out though. I am not saying obsess about our weight and our bodies and our clothes and our hair,etc. I am saying to care about and care for our temples. This means I need to eat right, exercise, and just in general live a healthy life so that my one and only earthly temple can keep up with all this wonderful "homemaking" God has given me to do.

So in short..because well frankly this is already LONG...no one ever said I was a woman of a few words....anyways, IN SHORT, I am feeling good about this weight loss and in the general direction I am headed as far as healthy living goes. I think that helps to make me a better wife, a better mama, and a better teacher for these precious kiddos. So all I have to say about that is "To God be the glory!"

I will conclude with a few pictures of our snow...I mean ASH covered campus today. A volcano erupted last night about 40 km away, and as a result, it literally rained volcanic ash last night. It was kind of cool, I must say, but also super sad as three for sure died and several more are missing. Not to mention that some lost all their houses, etc. So please pray...

With that, I will go...Already SO LONG!



Cindy  – (May 28, 2010 at 6:50 PM)  

by far, my favorite post of your blog :)

Victoria Osborn  – (May 30, 2010 at 4:24 PM)  

Sara thanks for posting. I was very encouraged reading your thoughts. I hope nothing has seriously been effected by the volcano.

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews

Some bits and bobbits about this blog...

This blog is mostly just ramblings by yours truly. I talk about my ups and downs being a wife, mother, and missionary in Guatemala. I have a tendency to get off on "soapboxes" as those who love me say but it is my desire that this blog can be a place of encouragement in each of your pilgrimages with Christ. At any moment if this blog becomes more about me than about Christ, than it will be done and over...so please help me stay accountable. To God be all the Glory, Honor, and Power!

Books I am currently reading...

  • Eight Twenty Eight
  • Interrupted
  • The Connected Child
  • This Momentary Marriage
  • Unbroken

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP